Monday, February 6, 2012

I tried making plaintains

So for every Haiti trip, we celebrate with "Haiti Sunday" at Brookview Community Church (church Sean and I attend).  They devote an entire church service to our past trip in Haiti.  Plus, I still need to fill you guys in about the trip as well (sorry about taking so long).  I wanted to make an authnitic dish from Haiti and thought I would try Plantains.  I got the first recipe here.  It had me cook them in the oven, which took forever and did not cook them all the way through (you can see in pictures below).  Plus, I was struggling to cut them haha.  Recipe below:


Oven Baked Sweet Plantains. Photo by Pneuma
This is what it is supposed to look like, looks good huh?  Not mine.



Directions:

-Preheat oven to 450°F.

-Coat a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.

-Cut the ends off of the plantains and peel.

-Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices.

-Arrange in single layer and coat tops with cooking spray.

-Bake, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until plantains are golden brown and very tender.

It took way longer than 10-15 minutes, so not a quick fix recipe.


So I tried another recipe here.  It worked ten times better because I could actually cut and they cooked faster being sauteed.

Sautéing: Peel and chop the plantains. In a skillet, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sauté the plantains for about 15 minutes until tender.


Plantains I purchased at the local Fred Meyer

Sipping my mocha that I made.  And yes, that is a Michael Scott coffee mug from The Office tv show.



One problem I had was that it was so difficult to peel the plantain all the way.  I eventually, had to peel it with a potato peeler and knife on some areas which it made it look really awful.

My attempt at cutting so bad.  I am laughing as I write this.  This was the first round though.  Ready to put into the oven for first recipe.

Still trying to peel and cut

1st batch= not a success

Here I tried the second recipe and starting to turn out better

They are actually cooking


I added salt and they tasted great!  Plus, I learned how to cut them like really cooked plantains look.  I am glad the first batch did not turn it because it made me realize that not all recipes turn out the way you want them to.  Plus, at church they were a BIG hit!  So proud of myself.  



No comments:

Post a Comment