Friday, July 8, 2011

Haiti, the third day


These are some drawings the kindergarten kids drew in class yesterday.  This one is a frog and below is a lion.  Today, we have the second day of Teacher training in Luly, Haiti.




Sean got sunburnt really bad on his neck (he forgot to put sun tan lotion there) and had to wear a bandanna and the whole outfit makes him look 'cool'.


All the children cannot wait to come inside for school!  It is probably because I am teaching today!  I was really nervous, but that went away so fast.  I taught a Geography lesson using a blow up globe.


Below is me and some of my Haitian students.

I tried to keep my hair down to look more professional, but boy was it hot.  I think I am the only one sweating in this picture.



I am teaching the Haitian teachers about the Geography lesson.



The boys talking with Tony through the school bars.



This is the coolest picture: a boy with the Toms that go to a child in need when you purchase a pair.  Such a great idea!  I am on the left with all of my bug bites.







Kam and I teaching the lesson.  We are reading a book about an American girl talking about her town and how she fits in our big world.






The entire school filled with kids eager to learn!



Sean and David :)


Pictures of the school benches.




After school was finished.


In Luly, less than 2 miles away, was the beautiful water!







Lots of trash on the beach.












The kids when we were leaving were running after us.


Clothes hanging to dry.



As you can tell on the way home there was still flooding on a road and then protesters made a road block and were trying to get the government to fix the road.  That just created a barrier for us to have to walk over.  There was still a lot of trash on the side and the burnt mark (picture above) is when the trash is burned on the side of the street.  That is one way to handle that :).

When we got back to the guest house we are staying in we changed and went to the soccer field.  We ended up playing a pick up game with some Haitians and one American from South Carolina.  He was doing missionary work as well.  We ended up tied at the end 2-2.  I wish we could have had some pictures of the game, but we were all playing.  Joey and I scored goals, his was beautiful.  I just nutmegged (between the legs) the keeper, but really it was not a good shot.  But I scored, so yay!  It was so much fun being able to play soccer in Haiti. The Haitians are so fast and just play with their bare feet.  Crazy!

Thanks for following my journey in Haiti!

-Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment