Monday, January 3, 2011

Captivating: Chapter One

So far I think I might like this book but sometimes I feel that it does not apply to me.  I loved this passage in the introduction: "We have women friends who love tea parties and china, and friends who break out in hives at the thought of them.  We have women friends who love to hunt, bow hunt even.  Women who love to entertain and women who don't.  Women who are professors, moms, doctors, nurses, missionaries, dentists, homemakers, therapists, chefs, artists, poets, rock climbers, triathletes, secretaries, sales people, and social workers.  Beautiful women, all" (Eldredge, p. ix-x).

I love that women are unique and do not have to fit the ideal picture of a woman.  What is that anyway?  There isn't one!  It is okay for me to love hosting people at my house, but hate the idea of a tea party.  I want all women to know that if you are not girly, that is okay to.  I was a tomboy until basically high school when my sister sat me down and told me before my first day of Freshmen year, I had to wear makeup (she did it for me of course for a year or two).  I love wearing sweat pants, but also like the idea of being dressed up and looking pretty.  I am sporty, and fear the kitchen.  I am hoping through this blog I can tackle basic meals and maybe try some hard ones too.

I like how Stasi put that women can be unsure of what it means to be a woman and what it means to be feminine.  I definitely am uncertain of what it means or feels to be feminine.  Even as a wife, I feel that.  One problem of this book is that even though Stasi says all women are different she uses the words all girls...  She stated that all girls played dress up and basically all boys played war.  I did not dress up in dresses and spin around, I was the tomboy and I played cowboys and Indians.  So I do not make the connection there.  Other than that, this book is really going to challenge my views and stubbornness of being a woman.  I am excited for God to open up my heart and to see where this takes me!

Let me know what you think and Kat I hope you come along for the journey!

-Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment