Sunday, January 9, 2011

Do you put God first?

I love going to church and I hope that others feel the same way.  The church I go to is Real Life Ministries on the Palouse.  I encourage you to listen to the podcasts of past sermons, they are real and do not judge, but really challenge you to what God has already commanded of you.  The pastor, Aaron also deals with real issues and does not repeat past sermons.  I love how topical and relational his sermons are.

Anyway, Real Life is starting a new series about Stewardship and the sermon today discussed the topic about Security.  I know that security can mean many things to the world and almost all of them are the same to Christians, which makes me sad.  But it is true, so we need to admit that.  Some securities can come in the form of money, popularity, material things, love, family, friends, and even food :).  I challenge and ask you like Aaron did today, Do you put God first?  He said very bluntly if you answer no, then you are not a christian.  If yes, then there are some fundamental characteristics that has to be true of your life.  I am not going to write his whole sermon, but I will give you the main ideas.  One question, that I thought about today, is where I find my security from.  My husband, even my dog Rudy.  I do find security in Jesus, he just might not be my first choice every time.  I love the verse proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."  I loved how Aaron brought up that even if you trust in the LORD, you still have to go and not remain stagnant.  You cannot just submit to Him, you have to still walk the path that he made straight.  I think there are a lot of us that have faith, but we need to act on that faith, not just sit there and say 'well, I know Jesus'.

At the end of our sermon notes each Sunday, Aaron challenges us with some questions to think over throughout the next week.  One that stood out today was:

God will often challenge our source of security.  The defining point is what we do when we realize that we look other places.  I would love to say that every time I think my life is falling apart, or I have a financial problem (being in college can do that to you :) I should pray and talk to Jesus and find my security in Him.  I know I do not do that every time.  I often hold Sean, my husband as a source of security.  I know that I can even find a chick flick a comforting security, when I am upset or a phone call to mom.  I know I need to work on that and am glad to be challenged with that.  I do have faith in this hard economy and tough times without a steady job yet.  But I have comfort that my LORD and savior is my source of comfort, now all I have to do is act upon it, not just sit back and let life happen.

God will give real security to anyone who will follow Him.  I think also, that anyone that truly follows Him.  Not just claiming they are a christian, but surrendering their life and attitude.  So know that even though temporary things can feel comforting, God is the ultimate comforter.

I hope that Aaron challenged you through my blog and hope you can listen to some of his past sermons. Have an amazing Sunday, and remember who or what you put your security into.

-Hayley



No comments:

Post a Comment