Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dancing in fields of grace

Doesn't she seem at peace?

Man, I wish I was there right now.


I feel that God is teaching me a lot of things right now, which is great.  I started this blog called Woman In Transition because that is exactly where I am right now.  Let's face it we all are in transition at some point in our lives whether or not we choose to be.  We can be going off to college starting a new adventure, or leaving those close friendships behind to start a different adventure.  You could be starting a new job or ending one or in between :).  You could be engaged or getting married, or going on that first date.  Or like be me not so long ago, watching chick flick after chick flick hoping to find 'that special guy'.  You could be married and wanting a child, but the timing is not perfect right now.  I am learning to love each new season and embrace it because before I know it I will be at the next transition of my life.  I wish I was dancing right now in a field of wildflowers and enjoying the sunshine on God's perfect canvas.  

I wish I could say that I embrace every time I am in transition.  I think that I do love some more than others or wish I was at a different place in my life.  For once, I think that even if I am unemployed, waiting for an answer to a job, that I can be content in my surroundings.  I do have my days where I can be frustrated with our economy or my own economic situation.  Let's face it, graduating with my masters degree and not having a job is a huge wake up call.  Shouldn't people be knocking on my door wanting me?  Haha, I am only kidding, I am actually humble :).  I need to enjoy this time because I do not get this very much.

When I was finishing up my masters degree and writing my thesis, I was so busy it was hard to breathe.  I love my husband for being so patient and understanding with me.  I just wanted so bad to be done so I could watch a tv episode or a movie or do whatever I wanted without the stress.  Now, I almost want to be busy.  Isn't life funny that way?  I need to enjoy waking up whenever I want, in my sweat pants and playing with Rudy.  I can look out the window at the snow or rain and be snuggled next to the fire.  But I also have bills to pay and can sometimes worry about that.  I need to not have my security in materialistic things or in being comfortable.  I just want to lay in a field with my Bible and enjoy Jesus.  But guess what?  I can do that in my living room or lay in the snow or rain, but that would not be as much fun.  So now that I have the time to think about my life and enjoy being in transition, what is God really teaching or stretching me in?

To be Patient.
To be Content.
To love Him.
To get to know Him more intimately.
To give when it is a sacrifice and can really stretch me financially.

How do I react to those things?
(honestly), complaining or being frustrated.  At first, I was excited, making my little or I guess not so little list of things I wanted to accomplish in my new free time.  I wanted to read book after book and watch movies or shows I haven't in a while.  I wanted to have Jesus time.  I am still excited for those moments, but it is hard as well.

I know that right now in my life God keeps saying Proverbs 3:5-6 to me: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight".  I have heard this verse before but it is really hitting me now in this season of my life.  My pastor even talked about this passage.  Aaron stated that although God will make your paths straight, you still have to walk the path and take action in faith.  This is what God is teaching me or showing me in my life.  I need to have faith and dance in his fields of grace.  I do have faith, but I need to have constant and unfailing faith all of the time even if I am frustrated or do not understand something.  

Just as God is challenging me, I challenge you.  Have faith and enjoy where you are at in your life.  Do not complain and wish you were somewhere else in your life.  Enjoy this season because you may never get it back.  Love this time that God has blessed you with and make use of it.  And as Robin Williams stated in Dead Poets Society, "Carpe Diem", Seize the Day!  

-Hayley

1 comment: