Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First New Recipe

So, I guess I will start out with something simple for my first new recipe.  To give me inspiration I watched the movie: Julie and Julia with all of my cook books out to look through.  I just love Amy Adams.  It was pretty easy to narrow down recipes, because I only took the ones with pictures seriously lol.  I came to the conclusion that I wanted to make easy spaghetti with wait for it.......I decided to cook with the help of my sister in law, Amberly the Sweet Potato and Scallion Latkes.

I found it in a wedding gift from a dear friend Kadie.  I would wait to go through this cookbook after a year and a half.  Pretty sad.  The cook book is Cooking from THE HIP by Cat Cora with Ann Krueger Spivack.  Not all of the recipes have pictures, in case you were wondering.

Below is the recipe and some fun pictures while cooking:

1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled (about 2 medium)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used regular salt and it tasted great)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 scallions, finely chopped (I used green onion because the grocery guy said they were the same?)
about 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
3 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions for garnish (did not do a garnish)

Grate the sweet potatoes after peeling them using a simple cheese grater- set aside.
Beginning stages of cutting sweet potato and starting to peel it.
Amberly working hard at grating.

In large bowl, whisk the eggs, flour, salt, and pepper.

This is just the eggs right now.

Add sweet potatoes and scallions and mix until the potatoes are well coated.


Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil in a 12 inch non stick skillet over medium-high heat until the oil is hot but not smoking.  Spoon 1 tablespoon of the potato mixture into the oil until and flatten with spatula to about 3 inches in diameter.  You can add 2 to 4 more latkes and more oil is needed, make sure to not overcrowd them.  Give yourself room to flip them without breaking any, and be careful, it can splash and  burn you.  When they look golden brown or to your liking, transfer them to a plate and warm them in a 300 degree oven (Cora and Krueger, 2007, p. 8).


Enjoy!  They tasted amazing and are great for appetizers!

 Below I am preparing the meat to go into the prego spaghetti sauce.



 Added the sauce and now stirring the mixture.
Stirring plus boiling the water to add the noodles in.

Rudy, our little helper in the kitchen.

One finished project.

Sean liked his a little more brown.

Tada!

If I can cook this, anyone can!

-Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment